Thursday, June 4, 2009

Summer Sessions

I'm officially on summer vacation. This has to be one of the greatest things about working in the education field....2 months off!

Before the end of the semester, there was some controversy over an 11th grade assigned reading. The gist of the debate was if the book was/is appropriate reading material for teenagers. I loved the fact that people got all up in arms, were having discussions and choosing sides. It was great.

The book is The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. I have a vague understanding of what the book is about. I haven't read it, but I did buy a copy and will be reading it as soon as I'm done with Broken by Daniel Clay (which btw, has no chapters...never seen that before). Some people thought the book was too vulgar and explicit or too adult if you will, for teens. Since I haven't read it, I'm refraining from giving my opinion about its validity as a high school reading. In the end, the school did approve the book. I'll get back to you on whether or not I liked it and my opinion.

Besides that, so far my summer sessions have been filled with video games! As you know, I LOVE Punch Out. I did pass Soda Popinski and have made it all the way to Mr. Sandman. Yeah...I'm stuck, again! I undestand how to beat him. I just haven't been able to, yet :D I also bought a new game called Gravity. LOVE IT! It's all about puzzles and figuring out where to place squares and rectagles to roll the ball/car to the goal. I know, sounds pretty kiddie, but it's great. I've gotten stuck at level 15 and 35 (there's 100).

Ahhhhhhhh summer....gotta love it!

No comments: