Saturday, November 29, 2008

Excuse me, do you work here?

It started when I was a teenager and now that I'm in my thirties, it still happens: I always get confused for a store's sales clerk instead of just another client.

A few days ago I went to Borders to buy the remaining books of the Twilight saga. TANGENT: I finished New Moon and am starting Eclipse. There seemed to be a lot of spanish paperback versions on the table, so it took me a while to actually find the english versions. I even went upstairs to check out the display they have in the children's book section. Yeah I could read them in spanish, but it wouldn't be the same. I don't know how long I was there. I guess long enough for some random stranger to believe I worked there.

"¿Tu trabajas aqui?", said the randon lady as she point at me and at the store. I smiled, said no, she walked away and I thought, "Are you serious?"

I only thought that because of the way I was dressed. Anyone who's ever been to a Borders knows the employees wear a black shirt that says Borders. I was wearing a blue t-shirt that says "Textually Active", jeans and flip flops. How did I resemble a Borders worker that day??

The confusion doesn't end in Borders. I get it a lot at clothing stores (Old Navy, Gap etc), supermarkets, but mostly...at Kmart. Yet another place with distinctive employee attire. Kmart employees don lovely red vests with store logo nametags. While it is true I know my way around the store having to go there so often, I have yet to receive an unofficial red Kmart vest for loyal patronage.

So I wonder why I confuse folks. People see me and must think, "That girl works here." What is it about me? Am I THAT approachable or am I THAT common looking? Is it because I walk with my head up and make eye contact instead of looking down and pretending the sidewalk is my friend? Maybe it has nothing to do with me. Do people just not pay attention to their surroundings?

No comments: