Sunday, August 24, 2008

5k Completed!

So I survived the 5k. Hoooooray!

I went with my brother "A", sister-in-law "A" and co-worker "J". We were all standing around anxious for the race to start. That's when all these other people who said they weren't going to do it arrived. I was surprised because the whole month was them saying they weren't going to sign up. Well, they didn't, but ran/walked the race anyway :) I ran as much as I could before walking. I made it half way and then felt like I was going to throw up. That's when I gave myself a break and walked for a bit. After that it was stop and go till the end.

This is my second time around running this race and I did so much better this time. I can't say for sure what my time was. Yes, I did have a stop watch. The problem was that after I crossed the finish line, I pressed the button and it didn't stop. So I have to wait for the official results to be posted, but it should be less than 35min.

Some people don't notice others around them since they get into the runner's zone. Me, I still observe everyone. There was one man running next to me that was growling. I guess that's how he pumped himself up, but it was weird. He was obviously covered in sweat and I guess drinking water or creating saliva because the growling turned into a semi-gurgling sound. I thought he was going to pass out...but he didn't.

All in all, it was a fun afternoon. Time for a shower!
OH! I forgot to mention something. "A", "J" and I decided to stay in the back at the beginning of the race. We didn't really want to be sandwiched in with all the real runners. Anyway. So we're standing in the back and I see this group of 3 or 4 people just pop open a few Medalla's. What?! Who chugs a beer right before a 5k?!? Only in Puerto Rico, I swear.

No comments: